Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 18: School Lunches of the 1980s

I distinctly remember being offered canned fruit cocktail as part of the school-served lunch, and I always searched for the cup that had the neon-pink cherry in it.  After all, that was the best part!  Nowadays, I don't think you can serve it anymore, but no worries, Del Monte still serves it up, non-perishable in the canned fruits and veggies isle at your local supermarket!


Apparently, it's called Fiesta Fruit Cocktail in other parts of the world.  Woohoo, party in a can! :-P

So, as you can probably guess by now, today's sketch prompt is: fruit cocktail.  However, I was up in Maine when this was the case, and even though this is immediately what I thought of when I saw the heading, and even though I could have easily looked up this picture on my smart phone (yay iPhone!), I didn't draw this.  Why? because I knew I would have agonized not being able to portray those neon pink cherries in all their light syrup-y goodness in an accurate enough way to convey those iconic memories of childhood.  Instead, since I had plenty of Cranberry and Pineapple juice (and Malibu), I decided that I would instead draw the 'adult' version of a fruit cocktail: the Malibu Bay Breeze.


So, yeah....those cabins in Maine had an eclectic array of dishware and such.  This was the most normal looking glass I could find.  Oh, and the lime slice was 'artistic license on my part.  All that's missing is one of those little umbrellas with a neon pink cherry on it :-)

2 comments:

  1. I remember that fruit cocktail! And yes they still serve that stuff in school lunches (at least at my school!). Love your take on the "fruit cocktail" though... mmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this blog. I just bought the 642 things to Draw book today!

    ReplyDelete